Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Confusing bonus system for life insurance policy

Dear Mr Tan,
Recently I asked my friend to send me a quotation on income's vivolife policy.

Something that I don't really understand is the "terminal bonus" shown. On page 9, it showed the duration and the percentage of terminal bonuses for the years 2008 - 2010. What I don't understand is a percentage of what? A percentage of the reversionary bonus that had been declared thru'out the years or a percentage of the sum assured per $1,000?


Is the reversionary bonuses that is declared annually same amount for both death and surrendered portion? What I meant is that if for example, year 2010, the insurance company declared $7 per $1000 S.A for this particular policy. Regardless of if I were to surrender or make a claim, the bonus that is still payable in whichever situation is still $7 per $1,000 S.A.


If the above hold truths, then in the B.I of the attached, at year 40, at projected 5.25%, why is there a difference of about $40,000 in the total, when the difference in the guaranteed payout of death and surrender, respectively is about $20,000 difference?


Looking at the surrender terminal bonses and the death terminal bonuses for both 31 - 45 years, the terminal bonuses is shown at 186% - 212% .


REPLY
Please direct your question to the agent who is selling the policy to you, or to the management of NTUC Income.

I do not wish to spend time explaining this type of complicated matters, when it is the duty of the people who create the product to make the explanation. I only advice people to avoid buying any product that they do not understand.