Saturday, January 15, 2011

Tunisia and Singapore

SGEP has a story about the overthrow of the government in Tunisia and the President Ben Ali had fled the country. This development has significance to Singapore.

I visited Tunisia on two occasions in recent years. I asked my host about the government. They had one party in power for more than 20 years and the same President in charge. They had regular elections. The ruling power has strong links to the trade union movement, the grassroots organisations and many other institutions in the country. The similarity between the structure of government of Tunisia and Singapore struck me at that time.

I asked my host how do the people feel about the President? It was a mixed feeling. He was a strong leader and is quite well respected. But there was a hint that it was also accompanied by some kind of fear and unease. Does this sound similar?

I thought that President Ben Ali and the ruling party had control over the military, the police and the power in the country. So, it was a surprise that he had fled the country. Read this article.

Tan Kin Lian

More news and pictures about Tunisia.
Election in Tunisia
Atmosphere of represssion