Sunday, August 14, 2011

Approaching unions for endorsements

At the Tiong Bahru market this morning, I met many people who recognized me. One man told me that he was a victim of the Lehman mini-bond but managed to recover 70% of his investment. He thanked me for my efforts. A few people recognized me as they were policyholders of NTUC Income. Some told me that they were vote for me, because I was willing to "speak out for the people". Another said that he supported me because I was the only candidate that is "neutral", i.e. not leaning towards the PAP or the opposition.

It was a great experience to interact with many Singaporeans who reacted warmly to me. During the last 35 years, I have made many friends and they are now coming forward to give me their support. I hope that this support will be reflected in the voting on 27 August.

The journalists asked for my views about the endorsements by several unions for Dr. Tony Tan. I replied that I would welcome endorsements from unions and cooperative societies, but I would not approach them as I do not wish to put them in a difficult position in having to decide on endorsing or declining a candidate that is not supported by the government.  I prefer to be endorsed by the ordinary people, who will be casting their votes in the Presidential election.

Tan Kin Lian