Sunday, August 14, 2011

National Day Rally Speech by PM Lee

I watched the National Day Rally speech by PM Lee over television as I was not able to get an invitation to the Rally.

PM Lee started with the challenges that Singapore has to face in the near future due to the debt crisis and possible economic slowdown in America and Europe. While we have to be prepared for the worst, I share his confidence that Singapore has the resilience to overcome these challenges. If the past reserves need to be tapped to meet the crisis, I ask the Government to adopt measures that will help the people directly in addition to the measures to help businesses.

I am encouraged by two key thrusts in his speech:
  • He identified the important issues faced by the people, i.e.  housing, jobs, education and health care and has proposed some measures to address them

  • He reiterated his commitment towards a more open and consultative approach and welcomed the inputs from the people.

I recalled that some of these points were mentioned by PM Lee in the past years. It seemed that we had made only small progress in these thrusts and, in some areas, the situation appeared to have worsened. There must be some structural issues and obstacles in getting the inputs of the people.  

I have personal experience of sending suggestions to several ministries on public transport, work issues and red tape and, apart from receiving a polite acknowledgement, there was no further development. 

I agree with PM Lee that the government can benefit from the inputs of citizens who have put in much passion and effort to think through the issues and provided some possible solutions. We need a new approach towards listening and using these inputs.  I hope that PM Lee will address the root cause of the challenges faced by his civil servants and ministers in working in the new environment.

I am contesting the Presidential election on the promise to be "the Voice of the People". If I am elected, I will be able to help the Government in the process of reforming our policies, using a more open, transparent and consulting approach.

I like to send best wishes to the PM Lee and his Government in dealing with these issues and will be interested to help the Government to find better solutions in the future, in whatever capacity I may be in.

Tan Kin Lian